Star Legend Delivered To Windstar Cruises – Second Yacht to Complete its Star Plus Initiative
SEATTLE, WA, May 21, 2021 – Windstar Cruises’ President Chris Prelog officially received Star Legend back from the Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo, Italy today after completion of its part of the line’s $250 million Star Plus Initiative. The yacht begins cruising in Northern Europe on Sept 4, 2021 with the Belles of the British Isles sailing roundtrip London.
“We’re proud to see Star Legend emerge from this major project with all initial plans completed,” said Prelog. “I am so thankful to Fincantieri for their great partnership on this complicated an innovative project. This is the ship I began my seagoing career on 20 plus years ago and to see it today like a new ship is more than exciting for me. I am blown away.”
“Many thanks to the team here in Palermo for their hard work and diligence on a long, complicated project,” said John Gunner, Windstar’s vice president of expansion projects. “It was an amazing process to get the ship to where she is now; and we have one more to go.”
Small ship cruise line Windstar Cruises embarked on its Star Plus Initiative in 2019 with plans to stretch all three Star Plus Class ships – Star Breeze, Star Legend, Star Pride – which inserted a new section into each ship with 50 new suites, new and reimagined public spaces and additional amenities. Though guest capacity increased from 212 to 312 guests, the size of these three all-suite motorized yachts still fit within Windstar’s credo to visit smaller, scenic ports for diverse itineraries mixing these with marquee ports.
Highlights of the Star Plus Class transformation:
- Two new restaurants: Star Grill by Steven Raichlen, an outdoor barbecue concept, and Cuadro 44 by Michelin chef Anthony Sasso, a Spanish small plates restaurant
- Re-imagined and enlarged spa and fitness center to invigorate active guests. The workout equipment is made by Technogym, an Italian company known for its cutting-edge designs. The spa menu features regional spa treatments and destination-themed therapies as part of the World Spa by Windstar program
- The yacht now has a larger pool and hot tub on an elevated top deck, offering outstanding views, along with expanded outdoor deck areas for relaxing and sun-bathing
- 50 new gracious 277 square feet suites featuring new suite categories and open floor plan configurations, as well as two brand-new, larger Owner’s Suites. These suites combine to create up to a three-bedroom, two-balcony suite with more than 1,300 square feet – the first of its kind in the cruise industry.
- Every suite on board will feature all-new bathrooms
- State-of-the-art, efficient engines and diesel generators plus new advanced wastewater treatment system
- Comfortable tender loading area located mid-ship and new elevator mid-ship
- Two new 90-passenger tenders that will ferry guests to port when yachts are at anchor
“The outcome of this project is really a new build, a complete transformation,” said Prelog. “I can’t wait to see our guests enjoying the new spaces and amenities aboard this yacht.”
The transformation also includes new health and safety renovations, which became a part of the project when COVID-19 upended the cruise industry in 2020. Windstar’s Beyond Ordinary Care program is a multi-layered strategy with key hospital-grade elements: HEPA filters and UV-C ultraviolet germicidal irradiation to filter and disinfect the air, plus electrostatic sprayers to sanitize all surfaces throughout the yacht.
Windstar Cruises will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for all guests sailing aboard Windstar’s yachts.
For updated information, reservations, and itineraries, visit www.windstarcruises.com.
SOURCE Windstar Cruises
What do you think of the news that Windstar Cruises’ Star Legend completes its Star Plus Initiative? Have you sailed with Windstar Cruises? Drop us an anchor below to share your experiences cruising with the brand.