The cruise lines have had a bit of a rough start to 2022 due to the new COVID variant. Given the rise in omicron cases both on land and at sea, cruise lines have needed to cancel select sailings recently. Today, Royal Caribbean cancels an upcoming Independence of the Seas sailing.
Royal Caribbean Cancels Independence of the Seas Sailing
Royal Caribbean first issued a travel advisory last week cancelling sailings on Vision of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, and Symphony of the Seas as a result of ongoing COVID-related circumstances.
Now, the upcoming sailing on January 22, 2022 on Independence of the Seas has been added to the list. This is in addition to a prior charter sailing on the ship.
The complete list of Royal Caribbean cruise cancellations is as follows:
- Vision of the Seas’ return to cruising is postponed until March 7, 2022
- Serenade of the Seas sailings from January 8 – March 5, returning after dry dock on April 26, 2022
- Jewel of the Seas sailings from January 9 – February 12, returning on February 20, 2022
- Symphony of the Seas sailings from January 8 – January 22, returning on January 29, 2022
- Independence of the Seas sailing on January 22, 2022
For recently cancelled sailings, guests can choose either a 100% refund or a 125% FCC. Guests must redeem the Future Cruise Credit by May 31, 2022 for a sailing on or before December 31, 2022.
Norwegian Cruise Line Cancellations
Royal Caribbean is not alone when it comes to cruise cancellations in 2022. Norwegian Cruise Line has recently paused and/or delayed the restart to 12 out of 17 ships in its fleet, also citing COVID-related circumstances as the reason for cancellation.
What do you think of the news that Royal Caribbean cancels an upcoming Independence of the Seas sailing? Did you have a Royal Caribbean cruise impacted by the recent cancellations? Drop us an anchor below to share your reactions to this cruise news.