Fresh, Sustainable Seafood, Glaciers and Denali/Yukon Cruisetours on Tap as Holland America Line President Highlights Upcoming Alaska Season
Cruise line prepares first full season as only cruise line to serve certified sustainable Alaska seafood on all Alaskan voyages
Holland America Line, a leader in Alaska vacations for more than 75 years, previewed its upcoming Alaska season at a Seatrade Cruise Global private kickoff event yesterday on board Nieuw Amsterdam. Nieuw Amsterdam is one of the line’s six ships that will explore the region this summer.
“We’re excited for our 76th season to showcase all of the reasons why no one does Alaska better than Holland America Line,” said Gus Antorcha, president, Holland America Line. “We offer more cruises to Glacier Bay than any other line, we have a robust program to immerse our guests in all-things Alaska and we’re the only cruise line with owned land operations in both Denali and Yukon,” he told a gathering in the ship’s B.B. King’s Blues Club lounge.
Summer 2023 will be the first full season that all Holland America Line ships sailing Alaska will exclusively serve fresh, certified sustainable and traceable Alaska seafood. The six ships completed an audit last summer by Responsible Fisheries Management (RFM), making Holland America Line the first cruise line with the distinguished credential.
In a cooking demonstration at Sunday’s event, Culinary Council Chef Ethan Stowell shared his recipe for King Salmon and Salsa Verde. This is just one of many new fresh Alaska seafood dishes now served on board.
As Holland America Line celebrates its 150th anniversary this April, it will also kick off its 76th Alaska season with seven-day itineraries and 14-day “Great Alaska Explorer” cruises. For explorers who want to travel farther into the Great Land, there are 16 different Cruisetours. These combine a three-, four- or seven-day Alaska cruise with an inland exploration of Denali National Park.
Holland America Line is the only cruise line that extends land tours up to the unspoiled reaches of Canada’s Yukon Territory.
Cruises sail roundtrip from Seattle, Washington; roundtrip from Vancouver, B.C.; or one-way between Whittier (Anchorage), Alaska, and Vancouver.
The ships deliver a premium experience designed for immersive cruising. Wraparound decks and an abundance of verandah staterooms bring guests closer to Alaska’s natural wonders. Further, enriching programming presents guests with the opportunity to learn about the culture and history from authentic experts.
Highlights for 2023 Alaska Cruises:
- Every Alaska cruise includes a visit to one or more of Alaska’s iconic glacier destinations. These include Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Twin Sawyer Glaciers of Tracy Arm.
- The 14-day “Great Alaskan Explorer” itinerary returns in 2023 to offer an in-depth adventure. Roundtrip from Vancouver aboard Nieuw Amsterdam (May 7) and Noordam (Sept. 17), the cruise calls at the Alaskan ports of Kodiak, Anchorage, Valdez, Sitka, Skagway and Ketchikan, and features Glacier Bay.
- Seven-day “Glacier Discovery Northbound” and “Glacier Discovery Southbound” itineraries cruise between Whittier and Vancouver aboard Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam. Ports include Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, Alaska.
- Seven-day “Alaska Inside Passage” cruises sail roundtrip from Vancouver on Koningsdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam and Volendam. Ports include Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, except for Noordam that stops at Sitka vs Skagway.
- Seven-day “Alaskan Explorer” cruises sail roundtrip from Seattle aboard Eurodam and Westerdam. These cruises include calls at Victoria, British Columbia (evening stay), Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka.
- All ships cruising in Alaska feature expanded onboard programming. Guests can engage with an Alaska naturalist and attend special EXC presentations that explore local topics such as Alaska’s bush pilots and the famous Iditarod race. Cruises with Glacier Bay take on a National Park Ranger and local Huna Tlingit guides.
2023 Denali Cruisetours Highlights:
- Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam will offer Denali Cruisetours ranging from nine to 14 days.
- All Denali Cruisetours include a seven-day Glacier Discovery cruise featuring Glacier Bay, plus either College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier (depending on the direction), Inside Passage. Additionally, they include up to three nights at the McKinley Chalet Resort at the entrance to Denali National Park.
- All Double and Triple Denali itineraries include the Tundra Wilderness Tour. This provides the best wildlife viewing through Denali National Park.
- Holland America Line owns its motorcoaches, railcars and hotels, so schedules are preferential. Each Cruisetour gets a scenic ride on the luxury-domed McKinley Explorer. Select itineraries offer Direct-to-Denali service, taking guests from their ship to their Denali hotel room on the same day.
Highlights for 2023 Yukon & Denali Cruisetours:
- Holland America Line is the ONLY cruise line to offer an Alaska cruise combined with an overland tour to Denali and the Yukon.
- Yukon & Denali Cruisetours range from nine to 18 days. They include either a three- or four-day Inside Passage cruise on Koningsdam or Volendam, or a seven-day Glacier Discovery cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam or Noordam; a two-or three-night stay at Denali; and a journey into the Yukon.
- Every Yukon & Denali Cruisetour includes the services of a professional Journey Host, who makes time on land easy, convenient and insightful.
- All Yukon & Denali Cruisetours include a ride on the McKinley Explorer full-dome railcars. Additionally, select itineraries add on the historic White Pass & Yukon Route railroad from Skagway.
- Yukon & Denali Cruisetours feature two nights in Dawson City, affording guests more time to relive Gold Rush history. Additional overnight experiences vary depending on the Cruisetour.
- An included tour on the Klondike Spirit paddlewheeler takes guests along the Yukon River past stunning tall pines, historic towns and wildlife. Nearly all Yukon & Denali Cruisetours include a Gold Dredge 8 tour. Further, every Yukon & Denali itinerary includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour at Denali National Park.
Holland America Line’s McKinley Chalet Resort and Denali Square
Cruisetours includes a stay at the McKinley Chalet Resort at the entrance to Denali National Park. The property is Holland America Line’s magnificent 68-acre hotel on the Nenana River. The resort features dining facilities and guest rooms. This includes a 99-room complex featuring Denali Suites with balconies and larger living areas.
Centrally located between the McKinley Chalet Resort and riverfront guest rooms, Denali Square is a gathering area with restaurants, an amphitheater, fire pits, and outdoor seating. There are also retail shops offering local goods and an artist-in-residence cabin where Alaska native and local artists display and discuss their works.
SOURCE Holland America Line
Are you excited to hear that Holland America Line highlights its upcoming Alaska cruise season including sustainable seafood, Cruisetours, and more? Have you cruised to Alaska with Holland America? Drop us an anchor below to share your experiences sailing with HAL.
Stay up to date with the latest cruise news and travel updates!
1 comment on Holland America Highlights Upcoming Alaska Season