Designed for year round cruising from Cape Liberty, Anthem of the Seas has many features to keep travelers entertained both outside and inside. Besides the Flowrider surf simulator and a rock climbing wall, the sports deck on Anthem of the Seas mainly consists of a two story, multi-use indoor space known as the SeaPlex.
The largest indoor sports space at sea, the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas is home to a variety of activities and events throughout your cruise. Now, no matter what the weather is like outside, the SeaPlex is always available to keep you entertained (open most days from 8 am-11pm). After our recent 5-day sailing on this innovative ship, we give you our Top 6 reasons to visit the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas.
Top 6 Reasons to Visit the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas
Race around the rink in your 2 seater bumper car in pursuit of fellow cruisers in the Seaplex on Anthem of the Seas. Whether you use some fancy driving skills to out maneuver them or smash into them head on, this activity is sure to take you back to your childhood days at an amusement park. TIP: We found the bumper cars got busier as the cruise went on, so we recommended riding them on embarkation day.
Some facts to know about the bumper cars:
- You can not make reservations, riding is on a first come first serve basis
- Children must be at least 5 years old to ride and at least 8 years old to drive
- Bumper cars are only open on select days and times so be sure to check your cruise compass for details (varying times on 4 out of 5 days during our cruise)
- Arrive early as the line can get quite long
- Length of ride- 2.5 minutes
If the waves from the Flowrider don’t wipe you out, then perhaps roller skating at the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas might be the thing that does! Grab your helmet and roller skates then head into the rink to show off your fancy footwork, or lack thereof. Skating around the neon lit rink to your favorite tunes is sure to be a blast.
Some facts to know about rollerskating:
- You need to wear socks
- You can not make reservations, skating is on a first come first serve basis
- Only 35 people are allowed on the rink at a time
- Skating is only available certain days and times during the cruise so be sure to check the cruise compass for details (varying times on 4 out of 5 days on our cruise)
- Once you find a day that works for you, arrive early to receive a wrist band to ensure a spot in your desired time slot
- There are some themed times (ie. 70’s disco) and family skate times available
- You are allowed 30 minutes in the rink during your skate time
If you ever wanted to fly through the air with the greatest of ease like the daring young man on the flying trapeze, then now is your chance! The Seaplex on Anthem of the Seas offers a circus trapeze where you can try out your acrobatic skills.
Some facts to know about the circus school:
- You must sign a waiver prior to participation
- Children must be at least 6 years old to participate
- You can not make reservations, the trapeze is on a first come first serve basis
- The trapeze is only available certain days and times during the cruise so be sure to check the cruise compass for details (varying times on 2 out of 5 days on our cruise)
- Arrive early as only 12 people are allowed at each session
- Sessions are 30 minutes long
Open Sports Court
When there are no other formal activities going on at the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas, the court is open for different sports including soccer, basketball, and volleyball. These open sessions are advertised in the cruise compass, but pretty much you can assume that if there are no other organized activities occurring, the court is open for these indoor sports. This is the perfect spot for cruisers of all ages to get some exercise especially if the weather is not so nice outside.
If there weren’t already enough options for fun and excitement in the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas, the second story offers ping pong tables and foosball tables for the whole family to enjoy. This area is also home to the Xbox Live lounge. The first of its kind at sea, players can compete with fellow travelers or gamers around the world on units connected to flat screen HD televisions.
The SeaPlex Doghouse
You will have certainly worked up an appetite after all this activity, but not to worry as the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas is also equipped with its very own food truck at sea. Located on the port side, completely aft, you can see the front of the truck sticking out of the SeaPlex building. At the SeaPlex Doghouse, you can enjoy one of four complimentary hot dogs, and for those with beverage packages, there is also a select offering of beers available and a freestyle coke machine.
Well there you have it, our Top 6 Reasons to Visit the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas! The SeaPlex is a great space for travelers of all ages to hangout and engage in some friendly competitions. Whether it is sports, video games, table games, bumper cars, or roller skating, the SeaPlex gives you the opportunity to have some fun while making new friends. Even if you do not want to engage in any of these activities yourself, people watching at the SeaPlex is a great cruise pastime as well.
Have you visited the SeaPlex on Anthem of the Seas? What was your favorite activity in this venue? Drop us an anchor below to tell us about your experiences on Anthem of the Seas. We would love to hear from you.