Most major cruise lines now have their own private islands reserved for guests on particular cruise ships. These private islands offer a variety of things to do and see depending on the cruise line and the location.
Royal Caribbean’s first private island, Coco Cay (also referred to as Little Stir Up Cay) is about 50 miles north of Nassau. Although the island is less than a mile wide, its 140 acres are jam packed with plenty of things to do and see. We have visited this island a few times and expect to be going back again, as we frequently travel on Royal Caribbean ships.
The island of Coco Cay
The coast of Coco Cay is rocky so odds are your cruise ship will have to tender, increasing the likelihood that you will be the only vessel in port. With the island all to yourself, which Coco Cay Excursions will you enjoy?
To help you narrow down your choices, here is our list of the Top Ten Coco Cay Excursions!
Top 10 Coco Cay Excursions
10. Explore the Island – While not an “excursion”, one of our favorite things to do in Coco Cay, Bahamas is to take a walk around the resort. There are some really well marked walking paths and maybe a few trails that leave you wandering the island a bit. But either way, it is nice to escape the crowds and go on your own little island safari. You may be surprised what you find.
Where will your explorations of Coco Cay take you?
9. Splash in the Cayalana’s Castle Cove – One of the larger water parks in the Bahamas, Cayalana’s Castle Cove is an inflatable water park. With large water trampolines, a floating water slide, and a log roll, there are attractions for swimmers of all ages and is definitely a wet and wild Coco Cay excursion. The section is roped off near the beach so you will be safe from other watercrafts. For those travelers who want even more thrills, you can combine this attraction with a ride on the inflatable waterslide located on land.
Cayalana’s Castle Cove
8. Kayak Adventure – The shallow waters surrounding the island make it a great habitat for wildlife including sting rays and a variety of exotic fish. See these creatures, while also getting a tour of the perimeter of the island, with the Kayak Adventure. This guided tour in a two person kayak is a great opportunity to learn more about the eco-system of this Gold-Level Eco-Certified island.
Ready for a Kayak Adventure
7. Parasail Adventure Tour – Get a bird’s eye view of the island as you sail 400 feet above sea life in this relaxing, and at the same time exhilarating, Parasail Adventure Tour. You and a guest will float high above Coco Cay, Bahamas as a speed boat takes you around the island. Pictures are a must on this tour, but just be sure to keep your camera secured.
See Coco Cay from the air
6. Nature Walk – If you want to stay on land during your trip, then a guided tour of the Nature Walk should be on the top of your list of Coco Cay excursions. This 90 minute tour will allow you to see the natural beauty of the island while you discover animals and plants in their native habitat. A few surprises might be in store during your walk, so have your camera ready. You can also explore the trail on your own if you would rather go at your own pace.
See inside Coco Cay, Bahamas
5. Visit the Straw Market – Looking for the perfect souvenir or gift to take home with you? Then a stop at the Straw Market, right near the docks on Coco Cay, Bahamas, is in order. The vendors there do not accept Sea Pass cards, so you should bring cash. T-shirts, jewelry, arts and crafts, and plenty of other goods are available from various vendors.
A little shopping on Coco Cay
4. Coco Cay Wave Jet Tour – Looking for a little more excitement during your stay on the island? Then you should pre-book an exhilarating Wave Jet Tour. This is a guided tour, and the wave jets do accommodate two passengers. So, hold on tight as you zoom by your fellow cruisers in this fast paced, heart pumping island tour.
The Wave Jet Tour is a high speed Coco Cay Excursion
3. Grab Lunch – You are on a cruise, so of course you are bound to get hungry sooner or later while on Coco Cay. Good thing Royal Caribbean offers a barbecue lunch! Feast on traditional foods like barbecue chicken, corn on the cob, and DB’s personal favorite, ribs. All of your day’s adventures are sure to make you work up an appetite. Be sure to grab some extra wet naps and a few cold ones to enjoy with your lunch.
Hamburgers, ribs, chicken, and more are on the menu at Coco Cay
2. Snorkel Adventure and Underwater Treasure Hunt – The rocky coastline of Coco Cay is prime real estate for diverse aquatic life. What better way to explore these waters than by snorkeling. During this tour, you may come across submerged planes or schools of fish, all while you are on the lookout for some buried treasure. A prize awaits those who find one of the hidden pieces of gold scattered throughout the waters adjacent to the island.
Coast line of Coco Cay
1. Relax on the beach – When in doubt, our favorite Coco Cay excursion consists of finding a nice spot in the sun, or shade, for some rest and relaxation. When things get too hot, you can always take a dip in the water or have a few sips of the island’s favorite cocktail, the Coco Loco. This frozen mix of juice, rum, and ice is reason enough to stay on the island for the day. Hey, you are not driving!
Enjoying the beach on Coco Cay, Bahamas
There you have it, our Top Ten Coco Cay Excursions. With so many choices, it might be hard to try to do it all in one trip. That is probably why we continue to book cruises that stop at the island!
What’s your favorite thing to do in Coco Cay, Bahamas? What are your recommendations for travelers who have never been to the island? Drop us an anchor below to help your fellow cruisers find the perfect Coco Cay Excursions.